Media releaseFrom: Australian Science Media Centre
Australians create around 67 million tonnes of waste each year, that's 2.7 tonnes for every person. At the moment we only recycle just over half of this waste; the rest ends up in landfill. But if we recycled it all, we could also create an extra 35,000 jobs.
What if we could avoid this waste to begin with? Technology could help us develop products that are more durable, reusable and repairable from the get-go as well as ways to stop valuable resources ending up as landfill.
A new report from The Australian Academy of Technology and Engineering (ATSE) has found, however, there are some critical barriers standing in the way of us using technology to win this war on waste.
The briefing will discuss the findings of the report and the policy and economic barriers currently standing in our way.
- Kylie Walker, CEO ATSE
- Phillip Butler, Founder and Chairman Textor Technologies
- Prof Damien Giurco, Deputy Director (Engagement) Institute for Sustainable Futures at UTS
- Prof Veena Sahajwalla, Director SMaRT Centre at UNSW
Date: Tuesday 17 November 2020
Start Time: 13:00 AEDT
Duration: Approx 45 min
Journalists can follow the briefing online via audio and video streaming. Each presenter will speak for 5-7 minutes followed by questions. Journalists will have the opportunity to ask questions online.
1. Join the event by clicking here 5 minutes before the start time or any time during the briefing.
2. Enter your name and email address
3. Click "Join".
If you are having difficulties logging in, try pasting the link into a different browser.
You will be able to ask questions via the Q&A box. Please include your news outlet.
(System requirements: You will need a broadband connection and speakers/headphones to hear the event. Allow 1-2 mins for your computer to be configured correctly, you can now also choose the 'join by browser' option which can avoid administrator download issues)
PHONE ONLY ACCESS:
1. For phone only access please call: 02 8518 1927.
2. Enter meeting number/access code 176 785 3531#.
JOIN USING SMARTPHONE OPTION
You can now also tune into media briefings using your smartphone via an app.
1. You will need to install the 'Webex Meet' app first.
2. Click 'Join meeting" button
3. Enter the 10-digit meeting number mentioned above
4. If prompted, enter the password: scimex
Radio stations can also record the briefing over a phone line. If you would like to make sure that you can connect, please contact us to arrange a quick test before the day.
If you have any problems joining the briefing online, phone Webex on 1800 493 239 quoting the 9-digit meeting number shown above.
Video files will be posted here as soon as possible after the event.
For further information, please contact the AusSMC on 08 7120 8666 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.