Media ReleaseFrom: New Zealand Medical Association (NZMA)
Recommendations based on guidelines:
· All health services provide equitable and accessible gender affirming healthcare services that align with international standards, evidence-based literature and community feedback.
· DHBs enable flexible and responsive pathways on the basis of informed consent and self-determination.
· Health services enable the involvement of trans people, including Māori trans people, in decisions that affect them regarding the development and provision of services.
· Health services must support the development of culturally appropriate practice within clinical settings that acknowledges kaupapa Māori health frameworks.
· DHBs provide clear information about pathways to access gender affirming healthcare services. This is inclusive of health services delivered by DHBs and primary healthcare.